Sunday, September 27, 2009

Number 13 September 27, 2009

“A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people”. Thomas Mann.


I’m very fortunate in that I’ve very rarely experienced writer’s block in music. (In fact the only time I recall was when my friend the producer David Kahne needed a song immediately – I think it was for Jorma Kaukonen. I came up with something dreadful, I think I called it “ Not Quite Magdalena (But You’ll Do) that we both agreed wasn’t usable. I rarely have entire songs come to me out of the blue, though. Usually I’ll have a phrase, and I’ll play it for a few days or weeks or months until the next phrase comes along. I write things that are easy for good players to improvise over; often a fairly complex head with a simple modal section for solos. Although I’m facile with words and am the product of a Jesuit education complete with Latin and Greek, I’ve always felt that I was not a good writer of song lyrics. Idolizing Jimmy Van Heusen and Cole Porter (as sung by Frank) and then Dylan and The Beatles, the bar was a little too high.

But on a new band I’m involved with called The Valence Project, I’m really enjoying writing lyrics. The players are wonderful. We have Brain on drums, Jon Herrera and Kai Eckhardt on bass, and Melissa Reese and Deborah Charles on vocals. We are recording in a very unique way. Brain will record a drum pattern to 2” analogue tape (I’ll suggest rhythms; a samba, something African, something in 6/8) and Brain will then download the drum tracks to his computer and start making loops. Borrowing an idea from Dylan’s last three recordings, I’ll suggest an old blues lyric married to a modern phrase to Melissa, and we massage the words around until we have something new. Some of the songs may be about two or more completely different things. The end result is something very fresh, and yet vaguely, or eerily familiar. It’s probably the most positive creative environment I’ve been in. Everyone is excited about being involved, and there are no pre-conceived notions.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment