Sunday, October 4, 2009

Number 14 October 4, 2009

Growing up in San Francisco, I was exposed to different cultures at a very early age. In addition to Anglo, Hispanic, and Black friends, I also had Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Philippine friends, and was very aware of their different cultures. The Persians I’ve known in the US are all uniformly intelligent, sophisticated, well educated, and polite – most of them having fled the revolution. Ahmadinejad is not the kind of guy I’m familiar with. I’m reading “The Ayatollah Begs to Differ” by Hooman Majd. He was born in Tehran, but raised and educated in the US. He has acted as a volunteer translator for Ahmadinejad, and has great insights into Persian culture and current politics. He goes to great lengths to explain ta’arouf: a Persian concept of manners that requires self-deprecation, and can become very competitive. That combined with the concept of haq, or unalienable rights, goes a ways toward explaining Ahmadinejad’s disconcerting lurches from being obsequies to arrogant.

(I used to encounter a form of ta’arouf from gypsy flamencos when I would ask them for lessons: “Oh Gregory, I couldn’t teach you anything. You are a MARVELOUS guitarist. By the way, show me The Shadow of your Smile…”

It is encouraging that in Obama we now have a president who believes in the concept of dialogue and negotiation. I read in the New York Times today that we are even approaching the Burmese regime.

I did finally find a flamenco teacher, the incredible Jason McGuire, who performs with Caminos Flamencos. Along with my friend Chuscales he is one of the best accompanists for dance and cante in the world, and is a great teacher. As Jason says, they never show you all the little rest strokes and ghost notes, that keep the playing in time. Respect the compas, as they say.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment