Monday, October 19, 2009

Number 16 October 19, 2009

“We never change the arrangements. Now we might change the tempo…” Bob Dylan

“You know why I never play ballads anymore? Cause I love to play ballads” Miles Davis to Keith Jarrett, after a disastrous attempt at Stella By Starlight with one of his late 60’s groups.

What separates good artists, even ones we love, from great artists (even those we don’t) is an almost insatiable desire for change. In an interview a couple of years ago, Dylan gave that hint as to perhaps how he is able to disguise some of his best known tunes until he’s halfway into them. And I thought, I should try that! But do I have the nerve to play one of my tunes at half tempo, or double time, so that my audience won’t recognize them?

Keith Jarrett hated electric piano, but he played it for Miles, because that’s what Miles wanted, and Keith loved to play for Miles. The fact that Miles would consciously give up playing something he loved, to make sure he changed, seemed an act of great bravery to Jarrett. When asked why he didn’t play All Blues, and other gems from the 50’s, Miles replied, “That’s why there are records”.

I’ve frustrated some friends in that I often don’t play pieces from the last record. In truth, as there is usually about a year lag between the recording and it’s release, even on my own label, I’ve often moved on to other things.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment