Monday, October 19, 2009

Number 17 October 19, 2009

“A lot of musicians worry about protecting what I call their musical foundation. They want to be on their Ps and Qs on stage, put their best foot forward, play their best runs, their best and try to impress people. But I’m at a point where I’m just going to say “To hell with the rules” That’s all I’m doing with the music now. I’m 76, I’ve got nothing to lose now. I’m going for the unknown”. Wayne Shorter

It’s no coincidence that Wayne Shorter played with Miles. Miles, who once fired a sax player he heard through a hotel room door practicing hard bop lines he intended to play that night. Miles, who could change what a band was playing by what he was NOT playing; just by listening. “I pay you to practice on stage” as Miles said to Coltrane.

I saw Dylan at The Greek Theater last week, and Wayne Shorter at Zellerbach Saturday night. There are some artists I see whenever I can. I’ve been going to Ravi Shankar concerts since I was 15. McCoy Tyner, Dylan, Eric Clapton, Shorter, Mariza. I saw Miles many, many times. Benny’s first show with Miles, he was shaking on stage. Miles had him take the first solo. It was a little rough, but the groove was fine after that. Bobby Scott (A Taste of Honey, One Is the Loneliest Number) once told me he’d rather listen to 5 minutes of Clapton than an hour of most other music. “Because at my age, I don’t have time for anything but the truth”. I saw Miles’ second to last show. A completely new band, very dark and moody. He was getting ready to do something new, that would doubtless frustrate his recent fans. My newest musical discovery, Emily Palin, busks on the street in front of Niman Marcus. She plays in a lot of different bands and contexts. I realize what I find so inspiring about her playing is that she is fearless. I think Mr. Shorter would appreciate her.


Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment