Sunday, September 20, 2009

Number 11 September 20, 2009

The Byrdland

I’ve written about instruments having their unique stories. I’ve always wanted a Gibson Byrdland (named after and designed for Billy Byrd and Hank Garland, two top Nashville guitarists in the 1950’s).

I think they are the prettiest arch top guitars ever made. They are not everyone’s cup of tea; the neck is short scale to facilitate speed and unusual chord voicing’s. A wide range of guitarists have played them over the years: Eric Clapton (Concert for Bangladesh) Blood Ulmer, Ted Nugent, John McLaughlin.

So, in the summer of 2007 (before the financial meltdown) I finally decided to order one. (They have only been available as a custom shop special order for some years). I prefer to deal with small, independent stores, so I went to Blue Note Music in Berkeley. The owner, James, is a guitarist. Bless him, he tried to talk me out of it, as many people do find the neck challenging. I ordered a blonde (of course) with a Venetian (soft) cutaway. James told me it would be 6 months to a year; they wait until they have several orders to do a run. I was delighted when he called me in December, after just 5 months, to tell me that it had arrived. It was beautiful! When I got home I looked inside the body with my reading glasses. The label stated that it had been assembled, tap tuned and inspected by James W. Hutchins, on October 11, 2007. My Birthday!

There is a good Wikipedia article on The Byrdland.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment