Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Number 2 September 1, 2009

Tibetan Buddhists have a concept of direct transmission. If your teacher studied with a great recognized master, he is thought to have a direct transmission of the teachings, and hence the line can extend to your teacher, and to you. (These ideas are also in Christian and Muslim thought, with perhaps less emphasis). So in music, I’ve always felt there was a tradition of direct transmission. All the great players who came through Miles’ bands, many of them to become important leaders of the music. When I lived in New York in 1979-80, I was fortunate to play with Jack McDuff, who had nurtured Pat Martino and George Benson. I was also playing with Chico Hamilton, who had had so many great guitar players in his band; Jim Hall, Blood Ulmer. Chico’s band when I was with him had three guitarists, including Rodney Jones. Chico told me I reminded him of another of his guitar players, Gabor Szabo. (I think I was doing some sitar-like droning, as Rodney was playing a lot of linear be-bop lines). Chico meant it as a great compliment, and I took it as such. I got to play with Ray Charles as a sub one night in Croydon, England. “Let me hear some more of that Git Tar player!” is probably the highest compliment I’ll ever hear. My dear friend Eddie Duran, who, played with Cal Tjader for years, backed up Charlie Parker for a week in San Francisco. Eddie used to let me sit in with him when I was in my early twenties. There is a buzz, a direct transmission, if you will, that musicians can give if they have learned it from the source. It astounds me that I’ve played and recorded with Benny Rietveld, who played for years with Miles, and has been with Carlos since then. Or that I’ve played with and recorded 2 projects with Kai Eckhardt, who has played and recorded with John McLaughlin and Wayne Shorter, who of course are Miles alumni. I envy Benny, and Robben Ford (and anyone that ever played with Miles) to have been able to hear his playing, night after night, from the stage.

I guess the big lesson from the masters is that every note, and every space, counts.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment