Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Number 7 September 9, 2009

Amps are of course as important, if not more, than electric guitars, for tone. My first amp, to go with my brand new 1966 Fender Mustang, was a Fender Princeton. (I probably should have stopped right there!) Then a Kustom 60 watt stack (loud and brittle, BUT black tuck and roll!) A 50 watt Marshall 2x12 combo in England and back in the US. And from the late 70’s, Fender Twins. A Mesa Boogie MKII in the early eighties, and then the Roland 120 Chorus for many years . I now have 62 and 63 Fender Champs. They are amazing! The 62 is in better cosmetic shape, but the 63 sounds better. I also have a Mesa Boogie MKI reissue. A few years ago Benny Rietveld told me Carlos was fond of Two Rock amps. I phoned them up in Cotati; the founder’s voice sounded familiar to me, it turned out he had been an acquaintance of mine, I didn’t know he made amplifiers. I believe they are the best sounding in the world by far and away. I have a 50 watt Custom Reverb (with 60’s Celestions in a 2x12 cabinet) and their 30 watt Jet Signature combo. I use my EC Strat with the Two Rock 50 Watt Custom Reverb exclusively on The Valence Project recording. For small jazz gigs I sometimes use an Acoustic Images amp, or an AER amp. The Acoustic Image amp is 400 watts, and weighs about 5 pounds. I’ve seen Pat Martino power two Boogie 4x12 cabinets at Yoshi’s with one. For a clean, well defined jazz sound, they are good.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment