Monday, November 16, 2009

Number 24 November 16, 2009

I’ve mentioned that there is a tremendous crop of very talented young artists and performers. The SF Jazz Festival had Esperanza Spalding a couple of weeks ago. I knew she was very talented, but as is often the case, didn’t realize how extraordinary she was until I saw her live. Her acoustic bass technique is fantastic, and she simultaneously sings very imaginative and daring vocal lines. I’ve been saying it’s like hearing Betty Carter and Ron Carter at the same time. It’s as if no one ever told these young people what was impossible.

The next night we saw Pat Martino. Rightfully a legend (I’m very proud that I also played with Jimmie McCracklin and Brother Jack McDuff) he’s always fresh and inspirational too me. He has a very unique philosophy on the fret board, which he explains in The Nature of The Guitar. His website is well worth visiting. I like to get instructional dvds of my favorite players, just to see how differently they see the instrument. Pat is very geometric, McLaughlin is of course modal, and Robben Ford is very vertical, with wonderful whole tone and diminished seasonings. Sophisticated blues, as Robben says. Miles was certainly happy with him.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment