Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Number 23 November 11, 2009

This has been an extraordinary SF Jazz Fall Festival. John Handy was presented with the Beacon Lifetime Achievement Award and gave a concert. “John Handy recorded live at The Monterey Jazz Festival” in 1965 was a very important record for me, as was “Forest Flower” the Charles Lloyd Quartet live at Monterey in 1967. In those days the new artists were showcased on Sunday afternoon, and if you made a splash, you had a career. John had the original rhythm section of Don Thompson and Terry Clarke with him for the SF Jazz concert, along with a drummer I’ve been very privileged to play and record with, Deszon Claiborne. It was marvelous to hear Deszon play with Thompson and Clarke on Spanish Lady. Again, the connections through musicians, what Buddhists call direct transmission, always amazes me. There is my dear friend Deszon, a few feet away from me on stage, playing with one of my major heroes.



Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment