Saturday, November 7, 2009

Number 22 November 7, 2009

My engineer/producer Cookie Marenco mentioned to Butch Morris the other week that I go to more concerts than anyone she knows. I have been blessed with seeing all kinds of amazing performances since childhood. From musicals to opera to jazz to blues at The Fillmore West. I subscribe to SF Jazz Festival, The SF Opera, and Cal Performances, among others. The Bay Area is an amazingly rich place for performance art; rivaling New York. This year’s SF Jazz Fall season is exceptional. Thursday the 29th was Ravi and Anushka Shankar. I’ve been going to Ravi concerts for over 40 years, and have seen him many times. He is the ultimate musician to me, and Anushka is well on the way. At age 89, his energy and speed have been in a bit of a decline, but this was the best I have seen him in many years. It was one of the top 3 performances I’ve ever seen, and one of the other two was also Ravi. Later that evening I got to see the paintings of Krisztina Lazar. I think she is brilliant, and I realized one of her paintings would make a great cover for The Valence Project. You can check out her art and design projects at www.transcendentbird.com

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment