Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August 10, 2011

As the glass blower Mark Peiser says, technique is not cheap.  As an improvising acoustic and electric guitarist, I grew up learning many different techniques; left hand classical and jazz fingerings, right hand plectrum and classical and finger picking techniques.  And then, when I started to formally study flamenco, a whole world of right hand techniques that are unique to the genre.  Unlike any other guitar form, in flamenco the right hand leads. I've always thought my picado technique left a lot to be desired.  A few weeks ago, I decided to simply give up, and accept the fact that while my various thumb techniques were great, I was just never going to have great picado.  And shortly thereafter, for the first time in my life, it's great!  The magic of letting go...

No comments:

Post a Comment