Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Number 39 April 21, 2010

I saw Pharoah Saunders at Grace Cathedral Friday.  It was interesting having recorded Emily Palen solo there in January to listen to a completely different instrument and approach.  I've seen many beautiful concerts there over the years; Don Cherry and Cecil Taylor being perhaps among the most memorable.  I've seen Pharoah many times over the years, and have always been struck by how profoundly African his sound is.  Lat night I saw Baba Maal at Zellerbach, and again am reminded of the debt we owe Mother Africa.  A wonderful feedback loop of cultures, as Baba is influenced not only by Senegale traditions but also Afo-American and Afro-Cuban music.  And the contribution of salsa and Puerto Rican rhythms are there also. On the latest Valence Project song, "I Am Shiva" I was wondering what to do for a guitar part.  And the music of Tanariwen    came to mind for the rhythm guitar part, and I was on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment