Monday, February 22, 2010

Number 32 February 22, 2010

I had a wonderful musical weekend. Friday we played at Café Claude, and Emily Palen joined us for two sets. She always adds a wonderful energy. Saturday I saw Angelique Kidjo at Zellerbach. I’ve seen her many times, and this was perhaps the best. Originally from Benin, she employs musicians from all over Africa; and has been influenced by almost all the major African music styles from high life to soukous, and also by American blues and rock and roll artists. A consummate showperson, she not only dances around the entire auditorium, she has the audience on stage and dancing for the final songs.

Sunday was Tinariwen at The Palace of Fine Arts as part of SF Jazz spring season. I was struck by how diverse and huge the African continent is. Nomadic Touareg tribesmen from Mali, their biography will amaze you. Guitars and bass and dumbek, with no trap set. Closer culturally and geographically to Egyptian music. I played their cd for Cookie and Brain for inspiration when we started The Valence Project. Now that I’ve seen them live, I’m an even bigger fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment