Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Number 27 December 1, 2009

“Steal from everyone but yourself” Igor Stravinsky

How ideas travel. A couple of years ago Paco de Lucia released Cositas Buenas. Like Miles, Paco has changed the way players think about the music several times, and I always buy his recordings the minute they come out. It’s a marvelous record, as his records always are. Imagine my delighted shock, when the last track, Casita Bernardo, has a trumpet line that repeats the melody of my tune Jeanetta (from my Ananda recording) note for note throughout the tune as the main hook. I like to think I have a pretty healthy ego, but I don’t have a picture of Paco buying 15 year old Gregory James cds for inspiration. Then I noticed that the trumpet player (with the exception of some orchestral recordings, I don’t believe Paco has used a trumpet in a small group setting) is Jerry Gonzalez. Jerry is a New York avant-garde jazz player. The trumpet player on my recording Jeanetta, is Ron Miles, also a modern player who has recorded with Bill Frisell and has several recordings under his own name. My thinking is Jerry probably heard Jeanetta (which has overtones of the flamenco toque taranta) years ago, and somehow the melody stuck in the back of his mind. Many years later when asked to play over a similar harmonic structure (albeit a rumba), the melody came back to him. Again, I was delighted. I probably picked up the melody from somewhere myself.

Gregory James

No comments:

Post a Comment